Information for Users of the Microsoft Windows Workstations
All the PCs in the Mathematics Lab run Windows 95 by default. Some also run Windows NT.
Files on the PC
Users can keep their files at the following locations:
It is recommended that users leave their DOS/Windows files on drive H:
(i.e. on "math.sut.ac.th") because they are safest there:
- Drive "H:" (Icon "My files on math.sut.ac.th").
This is really the user's subdirectory
"/home/username/.msdos" on the server "math.sut.ac.th". Drive H: can also be accessed
by typing "\\math\msdos_home". Usually, the personal DOS/Windows files reside on drive H:
- Drive "J:".
This is really the user's home directory
"/home/username" on the server "math.sut.ac.th". Drive J: can also be accessed
by typing "\\math\unix_home". Uusally, the personal Unix files reside on drive J:
Please DO NOT store yur personal files on the PCs (drive C: or D:).
PCs have limited disk space, and a cluttered hatrd disk may
lead to system crashes. Furthermore, your files on a PC
can be erased at any time by others !
- nobody else has access to a your personal drive H:,
- drive H: can be accessed from any computer,
- drive H: (and drive J:) are backed up daily.
Logging onto a PC
The Windows XP login screen contains three fields.
- "User name" : Here type your own username.
- "Password" : Here type your password.
- "Domain" : Here type "mathematics"
Any comments ? Send email to